Monday, July 26, 2010

How should I treat a paw pad which had a loose flap of skin?

On inspecting my 10 month old limping pup's paw, I discovered an intact ';flap'; of loose skin. As the flap was certainly ';dead';, I snipped it off to prevent any further ripping, either during walking or chewing. He is still limping slightly, but his pad which is also black underneath, doesn't appear painful when gently touched. I can get to the vet tomorrow, but is there anything I should / could do in the meantime?How should I treat a paw pad which had a loose flap of skin?
you can use vaseline my vet once recomended it after having the same problem it will also soften its pawsHow should I treat a paw pad which had a loose flap of skin?
I sounds as though you are caring for this very well. Since it isn't an open, bleeding wound it may not be necessary for you to take him to the vet...unless of course if you think there may be something in his paw.





ADDED: Milashka are you actually reading these questions to which you are doing the boring old copy and paste replies. It helps if your replies actually refer to the question asked.


This one is a classic example of irrelevant advice to the question.





ADD 2. now you have completely changed your answer to yet another copy and paste but at least it's relevant to the question.
My dog Buddie had a sore paw too, (got out of the yard somehow I think someone left the doors or the gate open again, and ran on the hot cement hurting his paws) but three of his paws were fine except the fourth paw was really sore and he was limping and there was a bit of a cut, so I cleaned the wound with a bit of salt water and got some non-stick bandage thing and put that on the cut and bandaged up his foot, he limped for a little while and it annoyed him but it healed really quick and he was a happy Buddie again, I've had to wrap his paws few times because he kept getting out but he stays put now. I hope your pup gets better soon.





I wish I had though of the sock idea, it would stop Buddie chewing at the bandages, hmmm...thanks for the idea.
Soak the area of the wound in a povidone iodine solution, daily. To do this, saturate a large square of gauze with the iodine and place it over the wound. Let the gauze sit on the area for a few minutes, but don't wipe, rub, or agitate the wound. A firm squeeze of the gauze sheet will allow any excess iodine to seep onto the wound, so try this a few times. Apply an anti-bacterial ointment to the wound, such as a Neosporin cream to reduce the possibility of an infection to the area. The cream should be applied gently with a clean piece of gauze or a gloved hand. Wrap the wound lightly with a self-adhesive elastic bandage. This type of bandage is sterile and comes in the form of a roll. Cut a piece long enough to wrap several times, but be sure that it is not wrapped so tightly that it will interfere with circulation.
wrap a bandage around it to keep it clean and dry and avoid strenuous playing until you have taken him to the vet
You put ';Betadine'; on the open wound and then place a sock on the end of his foot and tape the end. My dog got a bad cut on his paw pad and we did this and then took him to the vet, they said that what where doing good and just to keep it clean and continue the treatment. Still take your pup to the vet :D
bathe it in salty water and maybe get one of those stretchy 'crepe' bandages to put pver it to pad it out a bit and to prevent infection if there is a tiny cut anywhere
  • lipgloss
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment